Informed Consent Form
Oral Histories for Research for “The Forgotten Fight”
Led by Kelsey Glander and Joseph Clark, American Studies Department, Franklin and Marshall College
Description of the Project:
The Forgotten Fight Oral History Project aims to bring to light the struggles and stories homeless veterans in context of the public and collective memory of recent history. The Forgotten Fight team hopes to create a public humanities project through which military veterans can tell their own stories, in their own words. We believe that this project will illuminate and humanize the many struggles that homeless veterans face in the communities that we live and work in and call attention to a marginalized population that is often overlooked and stigmatized. We hope that by making public the experience of those who have undergone these struggles, we can prompt larger conversations about homelessness and the place of the veteran in our society.
Memoir Donor Consent:
I, ______________________________of ______________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ herein permanently give, and convey to The Forgotten Fight Oral History Project my oral history, which it is currently in possession of and which consists of ________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
In so doing I understand that my oral history will be made available to researchers and may be quoted from, published, publicly presented, or broadcast in any medium that The Forgotten Fight project, led by Kelsey Glander and Joseph Clark, shall deem appropriate.
In making this gift I fully understand that I am granting all legal and literary property rights which I have, or may be deemed to have, in my oral history. Additionally, I grant my rights, title, and interest in any copyright, which may be secured under the laws now or later in force, and effect in the United States of America. My conveyance of copyright encompasses the exclusive rights of: reproduction, distribution, and preparation of derivative works, public performance, public display, as well as all renewals and extensions.
By signing this form, you acknowledge the following (Please initial after each bullet):
- That your participation in the interview(s) related to this project is voluntary and may be discontinued at your discretion at any point. __________
- That you will receive no compensation for your participation in this project. __________
- That you have been given an opportunity to ask questions about the purpose, nature, and conduct of the project and that you have received satisfactory answers to those questions. __________
- That your interview will be audio and/or video recorded for purposes of accuracy and context, and that those audio and video recordings may be used in any subsequent derivative works, public performance, public display. __________
Individual Interview Stipulations (check all which you are comfortable with)
a) I consent to an audio recording of my oral history for purposes of accuracy _____
- b) I consent to a video recording of my oral history for purposes of accuracy _____
- c) I consent to the use of use of the audio of my oral history in subsequent derivative works relevant to the project description___
- d) I consent to the use of use of the video of my oral history in subsequent derivative works relevant to the project description___
- e) I consent to the use of my oral history in subsequent derivative works relevant to the project description provided that my comments be anonymously attributed or a pseudonym assigned ____
- That the content of your oral memoir, once completed, becomes the property of the project and may be used at the discretion of the Kelsey Glander in accordance with the above description and for any future scholarly and public history purpose, including presentations at academic conference and meetings, public exhibitions, and publication in articles, edited chapters, monographs, and other forums _______
- That you will, upon receipt, review the transcript of your oral memoir for inaccuracies of fact and return it to the project representatives within 14 days.
- You will, upon review of the transcript, identify any portions of the memoir on which you wish to set any restrictions on use and will, in writing, indicate the page and paragraphs that you wish to restrict and the duration of the restriction. The interviewee reserves the right to stipulate as follows:
- No researcher shall quote from my oral memoir in any derivative works, public performance, or public display without my written approval of the quotes that he or she has chosen.
- Your oral memoir shall be closed until __________ or until your death, whichever comes first.
- That until __________ or your death, whichever is earliest, any or all of your comments be made anonymously or a pseudonym is assigned in any derivative works, public performance, or public display .
- That your failure to return a corrected transcript or to stipulate any restrictions within 14 days shall represent your acknowledgement that the transcript is accurate to the best of your knowledge and that your oral history may be used without restriction as specified by this agreement. __________
- That you have read and understand this document. __________
Signature of participant Signature of Interviewer
Participants’ Printed Name Interviewer’s Printed Name
This release is adapted from Donald A Ritchie, Doing Oral History: A Practical Guide 2 ed. (London and New York: Oxford University Press, 2003), 256-57.